Wednesday, December 9, 2009

On Transcendentalism

Transcendentalism is a large movement that was started in the 19th century by a group of philosophers. It was composed of new ideas in literature, religion, culture, and philosophy that all stemmed from the idea that instinct was more important than rational thought. The part of it that really appeals to me is the religious part that the individual holds the divine within him or herself. This part of transcendentalism inspired one of the original tenets of my personal religion, which involved the worship of self above abstract influences, which is very similar to the transcendentalist idea. I believe that man's destiny is shaped by something otherworldly, but his daily life, goals, hopes and dreams are shaped by man himself, rather than by said otherworldly being.

It was also a literary campaign to make distinctly "different" literature, which I find to be quite a good goal to have. They certainly succeeded, since they established a school of writing that still persists into today. I have not tried my hand at transcendentalist writing, but all the nature and love and believing in yourself doesn't really appeal to me. I'm really oversimplifying what the transcendentalists wrote about, but when it all boils down that's really what it's all about.

Info found at: http://www.transcendentalists.com/what.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment